Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Job Type: Contract
Reports to: Infrastructure Manager
Location: Atlanta, GA – Hybrid
The Senior Network Engineer uses strong technical skills to provide support, installation, and configuration of network equipment. Recommends equipment improvement or replacement. Serves as subject matter expert in assigned area. Incumbents typically work on one or more projects of high complexity within areas of expertise.
- Network Infrastructure design, implement, and maintain our organization's network infrastructure to ensure its reliability, security, and performance.
- Wireless Access Point Configuration: Configure and manage wireless access points of various models, with expertise in Meraki Wireless Access Points.
- Cisco IP Phones: Maintain and troubleshoot Cisco IP Phones, ensuring seamless communication within the organization.
- Fortinet SD WAN: Work with Fortinet SD WAN solutions to optimize network performance and security.
- Cisco 9300 Switches: Manage and configure Cisco 9300 Switches to support data traffic efficiently.
- Cisco Routers: Configure and maintain Cisco Routers for network connectivity, security, and performance.
- Network Security: Implement and monitor security protocols, firewalls, and intrusion detection systems to protect the network from potential threats.
- Network Monitoring and Troubleshooting: Proactively monitor network performance, troubleshoot issues, and provide timely resolutions to minimize downtime.
- Documentation: Maintain accurate network documentation, including network diagrams, configurations, and change management records.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure the seamless integration of network solutions and support the organization's goals.
- Key Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g., Computer Science, Information Technology) or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in network engineering and configuration, with a focus on wireless access points.
- Proficiency in configuring and managing Meraki Wireless Access Points.
- Experience in Cisco IP Phones, Fortinet SD WAN, Cisco 9300 Switches, and Cisco Routers.
- Knowledge of network protocols, including TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF, VLANs, and QoS.
- Familiarity with network security best practices and technologies.
- Certification in relevant areas (e.g., CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, Fortinet NSE) is a plus.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Advanced understanding of routers, firewalls, and network protocols (Minimum 7 years).
- Configure and support WAN and Internet circuits and virtual private network connections (VPN) (Minimum 7 years).
- Support network authentication, remote access, and cloud-connectivity (Azure).
- Maximize network performance by monitoring, scheduling upgrades, and collaborating with IT team members.
- Review ongoing network security and identify potential risks.
- Serve as an escalation point for junior staff and plays as a key resource for problem determination and resolution for other IT teams throughout the agency.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field from an accredited college or university AND six (6) years of related experience OR an Associate's/Technical degree in a related field from an accredited college or university AND seven (7) years of related experience OR nine (9) years of related experience OR two (2) years of experience at the lower-level Network Engineer 2 or position equivalent. Note: An equivalent combination of education and job-specific experience that provides the knowledge, experience, and competencies required to successfully perform the job at the level listed may be substituted on a year-by-year basis.
- Problem solver with strong critical thinking and analytical skills. Available to work occasional after-hours support for infrastructure outages and/or upgrades. A team player who is also self-motivated and able to work independently.