Job Title: Field Service Technician
Reports to: Service Manager
Location: Illinois, Indiana. Michigan
Travel: Client sites
(Driving: Daily, short and long distances AND Travel, Weekly and often on short notice).
The Field Service Technician works as a team member of the Service Department. Our Field Service Technicians go directly to our customers for installation, repair, and warranty work as well as other special projects. As a self-starter, technicians must be able to communicate clearly and precisely in written and verbal communication. Must be able to fill out daily service reports properly to include make, model, serial number, all parts used in repair, and a complete description of diagnosis and repair work done, a key part or specific area of failure for each job or segment, and any comments regarding future repairs that may be necessary. Requires extensive travel, must be able to fill out and submit expense reports weekly. On startups of new equipment, the technician must be able to set up and test for proper operation of the appropriate systems using basic test equipment and procedures and then train customer maintenance staff. The technician must be able to perform most component removal, disassembly, and reconditioning following correct drawings and technical manual procedures. The technician must be able to properly and safely operate all machines marketed and serviced by The Company. The Field Service Technician reports to the Service Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Required to travel and work throughout North America on a regular basis.
- Required to travel out of the country when deemed necessary.
- Develop skills in disassembly, assembly, and repair of blast wheels, components, and machines.
- Perform diagnostics and repair in the field as required.
- Report any proposed changes of equipment to Product Service Support and Engineering.
- Demonstrate skills to other technicians and customer maintenance personal as required.
- Develop diagnostic skills on all machine systems.
- Perform all service tasks as assigned by Product Services department.
- Report any additional work required on machines to the Product Services and Customer for proper and safe operation.
- Participate in service training programs required for the development of skills and knowledge.
- Prepare all required reports to include make, model, serial number, complete description of diagnosis, repair work done and comments regarding future repairs that may be necessary.
- Technicians will also be responsible for reports and forms required in conjunction with work assignments (expense reports).
- Maintain a clean work area at customer site, perform and complete work in a neat and orderly manner.
- Maintain and care for contractors or customer’s tools, and equipment.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations in performing work on all job sites, each site may be different.
- Conduct yourself in the presence of customers to present a professional image of The Company.
- 5 years of experience or equivalent.
- Must have basic computer skills.
- Ability to read blueprints and drawings.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Able to acquire a passport.
- Have a basic understanding of OSHA regulations and workplace safety.
- Able to travel with overnight stays.
- Communication skills necessary to work with management, customers, and co-workers.
- Possess the technical knowledge to diagnose and repair customer and company specific equipment.
- Possess the ability and skills to conduct training courses with customers.
Education and/or Experience:
- 5 years’ experience with problem solving engineering solutions,
- High School Diploma
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, competent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Customer Relation Management (CRM)software, outlook and PLCs are necessary.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
AWS – Certified Welding is a Plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, twist, crouch, or crawl and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Dexterity Ability to grasp and manipulate tools and parts.